Date: Wednesday August 1, 2007 (10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, 6.5 hrs on the water.)
Event: Scheduled Potter Yachter event: Wednesday sail, Grand Street Ramp, Alameda, CA Chart: Oakland Estuary, Brooklyn Basin & Coast Guard Island
W/ P-15s: Don Person (Bruce Hood as crew,) Harry Gordon, Dave Bacon and Dave Meredith in his Com-Pac 19, "Archimedes"
Winds: Dead calm to 8-10 knots
Weather: High morning fog early in the day, clearing mid-morning to blue skies.
  Don Person putting out from the Grand Street Ramp into very light air (PHOTO: Jerry Kergan)I arrived at the parking lot at 9:15 AM to find Bruce Hood, Don Person, and Dave Bacon deep in conversation at the stern of Dave's "Ah Tiller The Fun."Harry and I sailing on a mirror (PHOTO: Don Person) I turned immediately to getting Lazy Ka rigged and ready for the day. Harry Gordon, arrived just a few minutes after me,  and was followed by Dave Meredith, the last arrival of the day, who motored over from Emeryville in his Com-Pac 19.

I was launched and away from the dock promptly at 10:00 AM into some of the smoothest water I've encountered in my two years of sailing. These conditions persisted for the first thirty minutes, when the winds picked up to a blow of 2-3 knots. For a shirt while I In the morning sun a little shade was needed (PHOTO: Don Person)experienced the strange sensation of sailing backwards for a short time. On an incoming tide, the wind was insufficient to move Lazy Ka forward. I could see movement on the water, but when I checked the shoreline for reference, I found my movement in the wrong direction.In the morning sun a little shade was needed (PHOTO: Don Person)

I had chosen to wear long sleeves to protect me from what had started out as a typical Summer day on the bay; high fog overcast and coolish temperatures. But surprise! No wind, and the sun was shining as well. So I broke out my umbrella for a little instant shade. I wish I could take credit for this, but it was a little addition thrown in by Lazy Ka.s former owner. It's a pair that conveniently clips onto the cockpit rail. When heat of the sun is amplified by still air, it's Godsend.Don Person sailing on the rail (PHOTO: Jerry Kergan)

Less than an hour out, the wind started to build to a pleasantly constant breeze of 6-8 knots. Now, able to make headway against the tide, we tacked out way down the estuary in the direction of Jack London Square.

We were sailing into considerable small boat activity. Just off the Encinal Yacht Club, youth sailing classes were running a course around buoys with their instructor attending close by. It maks me wish that I had the exposure that would have led me to this sailing thing much earlier.Sailboats in a line at Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant, Oakland, CA (PHOTO: Jerry Kergan)

Lunch was to be at the Potter Yachter regular haunt of Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant & Pub up Brooklyn Basin, East of Coast Guard Island. A little before noon, with the wind at our back, we turned for Quinn's and had all five boats neatly tied up by 12:15.

I find more often than not, I don't need the use of my outboard motor to come into a dock. Even within the confines of the marina docks at Quinn's I was able to do just fine. Quinn's guest dock is a straight shot in from the open basin. Today I entered with the wind at my back under main only. Once inside the marina, I quickly lowered the main, and simply coasted in. Once clear of the others, I made a hard 180 degree turn that laid me up nicely against the dock. I stepped out, grabbed the lines and walked Lazy Ka forward to be tied off behind Harry Gordon's Manatee.

A leisurely lunch was enjoyed by all, and by 1:30 PM we were off again for more sailing. I used my motor to get clear of the marina, set sails, and started the slow trek against the wind back toward the Estuary where all turned westerly toward Jack London Square. A feeding Pelican on the Estuary (PHOTO: Jerry Kergan)

At 2:30, Don, Dave and Harry turned back for the ramp, while I continued down the Estuary enjoying the afternoon breezes that were now in the neighborhood of 8-10 knots.

I continued to sail back and forth on the Estuary making three visits down to the Inner Harbor turning basin and back to Coast Guard Island. All-the-while in the company of more sailing classes and an ever increasing number of kayaks that were coming out to enjoy the afternoon sun.

At 5:30 I put the wind at my back for the run back to Grand Street, making the finger-dock at the ramp just as the winds died away to nothing. I again landed without the use of my motor. There was A time, not too long ago, that I would have never imagined that I would be able to carry this off. Now it's seems routine.