My Modifications:

Cleating
The first thing I wanted to deal with was the cleating problem. After much tribulation and staring at the hardware wall at my  local West Marine store, I settled on replacing the stock Harken Cam-Cleat with a pair of Spinlock Powercleats (PX0308: four @ $32.99 ea) I had originally selected these for their small physical size; my thinking . . . two Powercleats would fit neatly around the footprint of the single Harken cleat. But as I prepared to drill into my little boat for the first time, I decided to make a mounting plate to which I fastened the Powercleats. I felt this a more forgiving installation should I need to make future changed to the cleating.

The mounting plate is bolted to the boat with two 1/4" Stainless Steel bolts. As a cussion, I placed two 2" rubber washers between the plate and the boat.

Jib and Foresail Sheets
The binding of the Jib Sheets was corrected by adding two Harken blocks (#166 Bullet Block with Swivel @ $17.79 ea) to each side; the first at the handrail, and the second at the shroud deck-anchor (U-bolt.) just above the rub-rail, directly forward of the Powercleats. Again I chose a least invasive approach to this solution by attaching the blocks to existing hardware. Plumber's strapping was cut, trimmed, and  fastened with a couple of zip-ties to attach a block at the handrail. An "S" hook is used between the block and the strap as pictured below.

 

 

 

The Mods continue:
My first trial of the above modified rig was on Sunday, January 29, 2006. Everything performed as expected. But as seems to be the ways with sailing, as fast as we get one rough spot smoothed out, we find another that needs attention. In this case it is it is some high-energy buffeting of the foresail leach that occurs as the wind speed increases. I believe this to be caused by turbulence between the two sails. In a perfect world the solution would be to increase the distance between the sails, but within the confines of the Potter this doesn't seem to be a practical solution. My untested remedy is to add another #166 block to the shroud deck-anchor allowing the sail to be trimmed with more downward tension on the foresail clue.